Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital
Dr. Mahesh Desai is single handedly responsible for putting Indian Urology on the world map. & lone member from that country for a number of years. He perhaps has done the largest number of stone procedures in the world of Endo Urology. He has brought new devices to the field, but his largest contribution has been to spread the wealth of knowledge in India and the world. From a successful World congress of Endo Urology 2004 that he hosted in India, he created a most advanced simulation center that has benefitted so many trainees. His fellowship site has received numerous awards for best research in randomized outcome studies. He trains individuals from low and middle-income countries that cannot avail themselves of attaining hands on training in western world.
He did his undergraduate and postgraduate (MS) studies from B J Medical College under the auspices of Pune University, India. He trained in Urology and received fellowship (FRCS) from the Royal College of Surgeons of London and Edinburgh in 1973.
He was the Chairman of the Department of Urology at Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital since 1983 until June 2010. He is the Managing Trustee of MPUH and Honorary Managing Director of Muljibhai Patel Society for Research in Nephro-Urology since 16th February 2001, Medical Director of MPUH since 12th June 2010 and the Director of the Jayaramdas Patel Academic Center.
Leadership and Awards
* President, Urological Society of India (2006-2007).
* President, Asian Society of Endourology (2008 - 2012).
* President, Society International d’Urologie (SIU) (October, 2011 - 2012).
* President: World Endourology Society (2012 – 2013)
* St Paul’s Medal British Association of Urological Surgeons. 2012
* American Urological Association Citation 2012.
* Qimpro Platinum Statesman Award in Healthcare Sector 2012
* Hon Membership: Urological Society of Australasia and New Zealand.
* Hon Membership: Singapore Urological Association
* Hon Membership: Chinese Urological Association.
* Richard Tiptaft Visiting Professorship, Guy’s Hospital. UK
* Life Time Achievement Award. 2014 Endourology Society.
* Hon Membership: Urological Association of Asia
* Hon Fellowship American College of Surgeons 2015
* Indian American Urology Association President Medal 2016
* Bangladesh Urology Association Gold Medal March 2017’
* Ted talk speaker
* Hon Membership Endourology Society 2019
He has 750 scientific presentations, conducted 230 workshops, and published 174 scientific papers in national & international journals and contributed in more than 30 books.
Dr Desai was awarded the prestigious Dr. B.C. Roy National Award for the year 2000 in “Recognition of the best talents in encouraging the development of Specialties in different branches of Medicine” by the President of India.
He has hosted many members of the organization at his institute and they can attest to the contribution he has made to the field of Urology that few can parallel, especially with limited resources in Low to middle-income country